Are you hosting one or more websites and are using a headless CMS? Are you hosting your CMS on a virtual machine or a container, or using a SaaS solution? If so, then you’re paying for the uptime, regardless if the server or service is serving requests or not. Essentially, you are paying for stuff you are not using. And in this article look at how how you can change that and save up to 80% of your hosting cost along the way.
Serverless — what’s that about?
If you’re new to serverless, in short, serverless is set of services you’re consuming without worrying about the underlying infrastructure. There are services for compute, like AWS Lambda that allow you to run Node.js code, services for storage like S3, database as a service like DynamoDb and many others.
The benefits of serverless are:
- You are billed based on your consumption
- There are no servers for you to manage
- Services scale automatically
- Services are more secure than your regular server
Servers are still there, but they are abstracted away — out of sight, out of mind.
Out of all the benefits, the first one plays a big role. Picture an API on a regular server or a virtual machine. If that server is not handling a new request every few seconds, there is a lot of idle time where the server is not doing anything, but you’re still paying for it.
With serverless you pay per your consumption, if your API is not handling any request at that point in time, your cost is $0. To further back this case, a research made by Deloitte found that a larger system can save anywhere between 60-80% in infrastructure costs and up to 60% in management costs just by switching to serverless.
Although serverless sounds great, there is a down side to it. It’s quite complex and time consuming to create new solutions from scratch and existing solutions are not designed for such environments. This is where Webiny comes in.
Webiny Serverless CMS
To help you adopt serverless and build websites on top of this modern infrastructure, there is one solution you can use today, for free. Webiny Serverless CMS is an open source solution that comes with a few apps, including a GraphQL-based Headless CMS.
Some of its features:
- GraphQL API
- Content versioning and modeling through a UI
- Multi-tenancy & Multi-language support
- Powerful user access control
- Built-in image optimization and image editor
- Works with existing static page generators like Gatsby and others
It’s important to note that Webiny Serverless CMS is completely free and self-hosted — all you need is an AWS account.
The system is self-hosted on top of the AWS serverless offering, and your sites will benefit from it in the following ways:
- High-availability and fault tolerance for your API
- 99.999999999% (11 9’s) of data durability
- Enterprise-grade secure and scalable ACL
- Event-driven scalability — pay for what you use
- Great performance using a global CDN
- DDoS Protection of your APIs
All this is in the box and it takes less than 10 minutes to get up and running.
Comparing Webiny to other solutions on the market — this is what it looks like:
Get started with Webiny Serverless CMS and stop overpaying for your infrastructure.