Nowadays, the mobile app industry is consistently stealing the show. So if you want to take over the market, app presence on all platforms is a must. Building a native app for each platform is a costly and time-consuming approach; this is where cross-platform development comes in handy. And React Native is one of those cross-platform solutions. According to the 2020 developer survey by Statista, React Native is the most common cross-platform application framework used by global developers.
And there are excellent reasons for that. React Native offers high performance, cost-efficiency, and faster time-to-market. And the list goes on. In this article, we’ll go through the critical cost-saving benefits of using React Native, and you’ll be convinced of the cost-effectiveness of React Native.
Top 7 Factors That Influence App Development Cost
Before we dive into information on how React Native reduces the cost of development, let’s first consider the main factors that influence app development cost:
- Type of app development. The most crucial factor influencing your app development cost is the type of app you choose to develop, i.e. native or cross-platform. Using cross-platform development allows you to reduce costs and save engineering time, as you use the same code across both platforms. The native approach can be more costly, as you’d need to design and develop software for each platform separately.
- App platform. Do you want to create an iOS app, an Android app, or both? Each platform involves different programming languages and various development tools. Moreover, the user experience design of iOS apps varies significantly from Android apps. Determining on which platform your mobile solution will run can help predict development time, size of the team, and, therefore, cost.
- The complexity of functions and features. The required app features and the complexity of their implementation have a substantial impact on mobile app development costs. For example, if your software has essential functionality like a calculator, it’ll require much less investment and development time. Suppose you’re going to build a large mobile app that contains complex functionality (an immense database, AR/VR features, different integrations, etc.). In that case, you’ll need a bigger team, much more time, and it’ll cost way more to develop such a solution.
- UI/UX design. Design is an integral part of any mobile app’s development. The cost of your app development may depend on very detailed design specifications. For example, when considering your app user interface, you can choose a native design that contains iOS- and Android-ready templates. This design approach is faster and more cost-effective. Another option is custom design that implies unique architecture for each UI element. In this case, it’ll require more time for designing and prove far more costly.
- Specific backend. If you want your software to contain features like user accounts or an opportunity to upload images, you’ll need backend development. The backend stores and arranges data and ensures the app on the client-side runs properly. So, your app development costs may significantly depend on the number of variables involved in the backend.
- Third-party app integrations. If you want to add extra features from other sources, it can drive up app development costs. For example, adding GPS integration, social login, or payment integration, such as Apple Pay, may significantly increase the total cost of app development.
- App testing. At every stage of development, you should verify that software runs properly and has no bugs and vulnerabilities. To minimize issues and ensure the app’s quality, you need QA engineers. The size of your QA team directly depends on your app’s size.
Now that we know what may influence our app development costs, we can consider how React Native can reduce the cost of mobile app development.
React Native Cost Reduction Benefits
Let’s look at the most convincing reasons to use React Native to develop your next mobile app and see how this framework can significantly reduce your development costs.
Reusable Code and Components
Using React Native, there is no need to develop separate mobile apps for each platform. Reusable code and components are probably the most significant advantage of how React Native reduces costs. This framework allows developers to write code once and share 90-99% of that code between iOS and Android platforms without any technical flaws or glitches.
Reduction in Time and Development Costs
Thanks to reusable code and ready-made components, you can cut the production time and cost in half. Using React Native, developers can easily maintain the same code base between different platforms.
Lower Maintenance Costs
Native apps require regular updates for each mobile device separately. Using React Native, you only have to deal with a single code base; therefore, you can fix bugs more easily. As a result, React Native reduces app development costs and makes maintenance more straightforward.
Lots of Ready-Made Solutions and Libraries
One of the great benefits that reduces the cost of developing React Native apps is its community. Since React Native enjoys enormous popularity among developers, there are many publicly available, ready-made solutions and libraries that allow teams to meet challenges faster. For example, suppose you want your mobile solution to contain social media features, such as a social share button or the ability to send data to social networks. To quickly implement this feature, you can use the react-native-share library.
Great Customer Experience
None of us likes to wait for an app to load. High performance is one more obvious way React Native can cut your development costs. This is because the React Native framework uses native UI elements, and it’s compiled into a native app. As a result, you get a faster and more competitive mobile app that offers an instantaneous loading experience.
Lower UI Cost
React Native allows designers to bring uniformity and a fully optimized UI that works perfectly on numerous devices. This leads to more responsive user interfaces, a smoother feel, and a superb user experience. Therefore, React Native cuts design time and costs by optimizing one mobile app for multiple platforms.
Everyone needs a customer-centric app with all-inclusive features. With React Native, you can do just that with minimum effort and cost. Developers need to connect a native or third-party module to the appropriate plugin. You can consider the most well-known React Native third-party plugins such as React Native Router Flux, React Native Modalbox, or React Native Selectme.
Famous Apps Built With React Native
Nowadays, the biggest companies worldwide recognize React Native’s advantage and potential for business. Let’s look at some well-known projects made with React Native and see why this framework is suitable for mobile app development.
Instagram is probably the most popular mobile app globally, with over 1 billion monthly active users. By choosing React Native, Instagram developers managed to substantially improve their velocity and deliver the product much faster, due to the opportunity to share 85-99% of their code between the apps for both Android and iOS mobile devices.
Airbnb is a famous American vacation rental online marketplace. Initially, the company’s goal was to accelerate the development time and quickly penetrate the market. They needed technology that helped them reach that goal. React Native was their choice, and, as a result, they got the famous app out in a short time with a native-like experience. Now Airbnb has 43.3 million users in the United States.
Bloomberg is a popular mobile application for iOS and Android that provides global business and finance news. The company chose React Native to accelerate the release of new product features and provide users with a streamlined, interactive experience on all platforms.
Facebook, which released React Native in 2015, made using this technology a must for the company. Thus, they made their other product, Facebook Ads, using the React Native framework and achieved excellent results. Today, Facebook Ads is a quickly responsive app with clean UI and intuitive UX on both platforms.
UberEats is a popular food ordering and delivery app. Initially, the company needed to enhance its built-in restaurant dashboard, and, for this purpose, they chose React Native. The developers were pleasantly surprised by their experience with the framework. Today, their updated restaurant dashboard allows them to attract more clients and significantly increase their consumer base.
Our Experience With React Native
Our client, Fractal Labs, came up with the idea of a self-service platform for financial partners targeting SMEs. The concept was meant to enable financial services to access valuable customer data, enhance risk models, lower loss-ratio through continuous monitoring, engage untapped customers, and intelligently target products.
Fractal Labs was looking for a partner that could help them build a mobile application that serves as a front-end interface for their backend-heavy open banking API.
Our TechMagic team was responsible for building a mobile app and its fast release for both iOS and Android platforms. We chose React Native as a solution, since it accelerates development time by sharing 90-99% of our code between iOS and Android platforms.
As a result, after a few months, we released a properly operating React Native app that feels and looks native on all devices. What’s more, we managed to reach excellent app performance quality, involve only one engineer, and save 45% on our budget.
As you can see, React Native can cut costs for many reasons. This framework allows you to build your mobile solution in a more straightforward and faster way, with minimum cost and time commitments. What is more, it does all of this without sacrificing on the quality of the application.